Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:13:22 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: looking for ideas: creating a data partition for a dual boot system

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 03:43:14PM -0500, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I have both vista and freebsd 8-current installed on the same drive
> and also have allocated the rest of the disk to be a fat32 partition.
>  I know I should put any data I want to be passed between the two on
> the fat32 partition.   Now the question is how to lay it out so that:
>=20
> 1. The home dir for my account of FreeBSD =3D Vista account's root dir

In FreeBSD you can mount the fat32 partition on /home/$USER. How to
handle this in vista you'd have to ask somewhere else, I think.

The FAT "filesystem" doesn't handle a lot of things (like file and
directory permissions) that UFS2 does. So this doesn't strike me as a
really good idea.

> 2. Share the same Desktop folder (I think if #1 is solved this is automat=
ic)

Maybe, but the Desktop folder would be pretty much useless for
FreeBSD. Maybe there is an X window manager that could do something
usefull with it, but I doubt it. And the icons and stuff would point to
windows programs/drives anyway.

Roland
--=20

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl