Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:37:26 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg 1.3.X changed behaviour with pkg -fR xxx

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2014 12:03 PM, "Kevin Oberman" <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> bapt@freebsd.org>

> > > Pkg is developed using git and hosted on GitHub. Its issue tracker
> hooks
> > > into the repository quite nicely, so it actually makes a lot of sense
> > > file it there.
> > >
> > > https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/issues/new
> > >

> > While I understand that, it is disturbing to see a very important part of
> > FreeBSD not using the FreeBSD bug tracking system. If I have a problem
> with
> > FreeBSD and want to see if there is a trouble report, I am not going to
> > look at github (or any external tracker). I'm going to look at the
> FreeBSD
> > Bugzilla and I feel it is improper to have an official FreeBSD project
> > recommending issues be sent to any external bug tracker in lieu of the
> > official one..
> >
> > Simply put, I think it is a terrible idea and should be squashed
> > immediately.
>
> My impression was that pkg is supposed to be cross-platform and portable,
> hence not FreeBSD-specific.
> Jos

I have seen nothing indicating that. It's certainly not going to work with
any Linux distro. It might be applicable to other BSDs, especially
DragonFly, but I still believe that FreeBSD bugs belong in the FreeBSD bug
system. Normally, when maintainers want to dent reports upstream to the
port developers, it is up to them to do so. So the ports management team
would be responsible for forwarding bugs to the github system if they think
it is appropriate.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com