Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:12:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Atsushi Furuta <furuta@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp, nate@mt.sri.com, nathan@rtfm.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Atsushi Furuta wrote:

>   Hi, I am Atsushi Furuta, a member of the newcofig.
>
> >> In article <199812110210.SAA00665@dingo.cdrom.com>,
> 	Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
>
> > Much of the work that you still have to do on
> > the newconfig stuff has already been done.
>
>   For example, itojun-san's point of
>
> Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 13:21:42 +0900
> From:      Jun-ichiro Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
> Subject:   new config
>
>         - Cannot pass "flags" field to pci devices.
>         - Having foo_softc[NFOO] is A BAD THING, thinking about pci/isapnp
>           devices.  We must avoid this.
>
> is not implemented in the current FreeBSD.  Many dirty ISA hack such
> as static softc, isa_devtab_wdc, is still holded. The newconfig cleard
> up much of them.

The softc issue is addressed by the new device framework.  The pci support
code has not yet been updated to the new interface but when it is, it will
get this for free.  The flags field can also be easily added.

>   Our stance is that such problems should be cleared up as soon as
> possible.  It seems to me that the roadmap is not intended to solve
> these problem. For me, the newconfig is only a step to do so.
>
>   BTW, I agree with Cho-san's opinion. I want to discuss with new-bus
> poeple to solve these problem. Please tell me about the new-bus ML. It
> is first time that I hear the new-bus ML.

There is a list hosted by majordomo@bostonradio.org which Garrett set up.
There isn't a list at freebsd.org specifically for this subject but I
guess freebsd-arch would be suitable.

--