Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:29:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        candy@fct.kgc.co.jp (Toshihiro Kanda)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: getty(8) don't show `login:' prompt

Toshihiro Kanda writes:

>   I'm using FreeBSD 2.1R.  I wanted to login via modem, but got
> difficulty...  Getty didn't show `login:' to remote terminal.
>
>   After a short hacking /usr/src/libexec/getty/, I found a delay fixes
> this problem.
>
> -------8<---------------8<---------------8<--------
> *** main.c.orig	Tue Jul  9 17:25:31 1996
> --- main.c	Tue Jul  9 17:24:54 1996
> ***************
> *** 176,181 ****
> --- 176,184 ----
>   			sleep(60);
>   		}
>   		login_tty(i);
> + #if 1 /* XXX Need delay to continue... I don't know why */
> + 		sleep(1);
> + #endif
>   	    }
>   	}
> -------8<---------------8<---------------8<--------

No, that looks pretty good to me.  In my getty (heavily modified), I
have:

  if (slowmodem)
    {
    sleep (slowmodem);					    /* give modem a chance to wake up */
    tcflush (i, TCIFLUSH);				    /* and throw out any junk */
    }

>From the man page:

-S [delay] causes getty to delay <delay> seconds after connection has
           been established.  This is for use with modems which are
           not ready to communicate with the remote site as soon as
           they are connected.  <delay> may be omitted and defaults to
           2.

Greg