Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:10:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vn disks not equal?

I'm fairly sure that I used to:

vnconfig /dev/vn0c /some/file/some/where
newfs /dev/rvn0c

But this now gives:

[1:43:343]root@sabre:/usr/src/release/scripts> newfs /dev/rvn0c
newfs: ioctl (GDINFO): Invalid argument
newfs: /dev/rvn0c: can't read disk label; disk type must be specified

Now... you can't disklabel rvn0c, but you can disklabel rvn0, so:

[1:44:344]root@sabre:/usr/src/release/scripts> newfs /dev/rvn0
newfs: /dev/rvn0: `0' partition is unavailable

Still doesn't work.  What changed?  What do I do?

I was doing this because I wanted to configure several vn's into vinum
to test a command sequence for a very remote user.  Vinum also can't
seem to use or initialize vn0c.

   3: drive d0 device /dev/vn0c
** 3 Can't initialize drive d0: Invalid argument
Configuration summary

Drives:         0 (4 configured)
Volumes:        0 (4 configured)
Plexes:         0 (8 configured)
Subdisks:       0 (16 configured)

D d0                    State: down     Device /dev/vn0c        Avail: 0/0 MB

Dave.