Date:      Wed,  7 Apr 1999 09:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Tony Byrne <tony@nua.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEC 21143 based NIC

Tony Byrne writes:
 > On a related subject...
 >
 > Assuming that the integrated NIC just won't cut the mustard or is dead
 > beef, what off the shelf PCI / ISA NICs are likely to work in a Alpha
 > Personal Workstation 433a, under FreeBSD (or NT for that matter)?

Have a look at the GENERIC alpha kernel config file.  In addition to
de0 and fxp0, Bill Paul just ported a number of his drivers to
FreeBSD/alpha.  I'm not sure how many of these have made it into
installed kernels in snapshots though:

device de0
device fxp0
device le0
device mx0
device pn0
device tl0
device xl0

Beware the le0 is the on-board lance adaptor in turbochannel machines.

And related documentation:

# The `de' device provides support for the Digital Equipment DC21040
# self-contained Ethernet adapter.
#
# The `fxp' device provides support for the Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B
# PCI Fast Ethernet adapters.
#
# The `mx' device provides support for various fast ethernet adapters
# based on the Macronix 98713, 987615 ans 98725 series chips.
#
# The `pn' device provides support for various fast ethernet adapters
# based on the Lite-On 82c168 and 82c169 PNIC chips, including the
# LinkSys LNE100TX, the NetGear FA310TX rev. D1 and the Matrox
# FastNIC 10/100.
#
# The 'rl' device provides support for PCI fast ethernet adapters based
# on the RealTek 8129/8139 chipset. Note that the RealTek driver defaults
# to useing programmed I/O to do register accesses because memory mapped
# mode seems to cause severe lockups on SMP hardware. This driver also
# supports the Accton EN1207D `Cheetah' adapter, which uses a chip called
# the MPX 5030/5038, which is either a RealTek in disguise or a RealTek
# workalike.
#
# The 'tl' device provides support for the Texas Instruments TNETE100
# series 'ThunderLAN' cards and integrated ethernet controllers. This
# includes several Compaq Netelligent 10/100 cards and the built-in
# ethernet controllers in several Compaq Prosignia, Proliant and
# Deskpro systems. It also supports several Olicom 10Mbps and 10/100
# boards.
#

 > Finding documentation for this short of thing is tricky.  Also does
 > anyone know how resources such as IRQs and IO addresses are managed by
 > these machines?  E.g, if I pop in a plain ol' NE2000 compatible ISA NIC
 > with known IRQ and IO settings, how does the alpha know to reserve them?

You use isacfg from the SRM console.  However, no ISA nics are
supported in FreeBSD alpha just yet.

 > Sorry if my questions are slightly off topic, but I was lucky enough to
 > lay my hands on a 433a at the weekend and it's early days on the
 > learning curve.

Its not a bad question -- the documentation for FreeBSD/alpha is
nearly non-existant right now.

Cheers,

Drew