Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:42:12 +0200
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /usr/local/ports ?

Bill Fenner wrote on 10.09.1997
  Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /u

>Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de> wrote:
>>Or use the modules system (see <http://www.modules.org>). You would use the
>>command
>>	module add <package>
>>to add it to PATH, and
>>	module delete <package>
>>to remove it.
>
>We use something like this at PARC.  It's incredibly useful, since
>it allows you to have multiple versions of software around and turn
>them on or off individually without having to rename executables, but
>I'm always running into hard-coded limits.  My $PATH is nearly 1k bytes
>long, and if it gets any longer random programs start misbehaving in
>various strange ways.  Same with $MANPATH.

Yep, I known that. I've patched my copy of tcsh to cope with PATH lengths up to
4K. There is a #define to change that.

ciao
  lutz

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.