Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:01:06 -0700
From:      PM Lashley <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
To:        "R.P. Aditya" <aditya@grot.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel ISP1100 or similar 1U experience with 4.3 stable

--==========2279407794==========

--On Wednesday, July 11, 2001 15:32:13 -0700 "R.P. Aditya"=20
<aditya@grot.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 06:22:45PM -0400, Marc wrote:
>> I have a couple of Sun X1s...and they are indeed nice little units,
>> especially given the price.
>
> The only negative thing I've heard about them is that they are
> loud...comments?

They are awfully nice little boxes; but there is one other flaw - there's
a bug in Solaris 8 with respect to clock management on the X1 and Blade
boxes.  Even with (x)ntpd running, the system clock will occasionally (on
the order of once or twice a day) jump by 20 or more seconds out of sync;
and stay that way for a random time period.  (One company I work with has
a farm of 30 X1s and a distributed app where time synconization is =
critical.
Their boxes usually stay out of sync for about 5 to 20 minutes before ntpd
slams them back where they belong.)

(No, it isn't a configuration problem or lack of system patch.  Sun are
apparently aware of the problem and working on a patch upgrade.)

Oh, and you have to make sure your X1 farm is in a properly air-conditioned
environment; otherwise they tend to start to overheat and automatically =
shut
themselves down.  (I would expect the same requirement of any equivalently
powerful 1U box...)

-Pat
	GnuPG/PGP key 9DC60D6CB0FCC2E3 at search.keyserver.net
	Fingerprint: A241 AADC 5AB8 1A36 08FF  7168 9DC6 0D6C B0FC C2E3