Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 20:52:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@gshapiro.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipf vs IPv6

I was considering switching from ipfw to ipf and wanted to give ipf a try.
I've run into a road block.  According to the ipfstat man page:

SYNOPSIS
       ipfstat [ -6aAfghIinosv ] [ -d <device> ]
       -6     Display filter lists for IPv6, if available.

However when attempted:

# ipfstat -6
Usage: ipfstat [-aAfhIinosv] [-d <device>]

I see that if ipfstat were compiled with USE_INET6, it might work.  This
leads to the question, has the ipfilter code been compiled without IPv6
support on purpose (i.e., it doesn't work under FreeBSD yet so enabling it
would cause problems) or would it be safe to turn on?  Does the ipf kernel
support include IPv6 (assuming the kernel has it)?