Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:55:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
To:        Bram Van Steenlandt <bulkmail@diomedia.be>, Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: updating multiple freebsd desktops

> ----- Original Message ----=0A> From: Bram Van Steenlandt <bulkmail@diome=
dia.be>=0A> To: Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>=0A> Sent: Tue=
sday, July 31, 2007 6:59:22 AM=0A> Subject: updating multiple freebsd deskt=
ops=0A> =0A> Hi list,=0A> =0A> The company I work for is linux based, we wo=
rk with our own app written =0A> in wxPython.=0A> I am having a lot of trou=
ble finding a suitable desktop OS, I've just =0A> went with redhat but I th=
ink I am having second thoughts about it .=0A> Freebsd (wich we use for som=
e servers) would be an option but:=0A> =0A> I find it really difficult to k=
eep freebsd up to date in a desktop =0A> situation, recompiling things like=
 gnome can take a lot of time.=0A> =0A> So what I would really like is to m=
ake one machine the build/test =0A> machine and keep this machine up to dat=
e with the ports and portmanager =0A> or so.=0A> Can I then set up some kin=
d of repo with the packages from this machine =0A> and run something like "=
yum upgrade" on every desktop we have ?=0A> I know something like sharing (=
thus building it only once and installing =0A> it on multiple pc's) /usr/po=
rts could be done but it is still to much =0A> work and I would like someth=
ing that also works  over the internet.=0A> =0A> Ideas anyone ?=0A> =0A> ki=
 are some ideas to get you started:=0A=0A1.  Maintain one server and access=
 it remotely using X Window or vnc.=0A=0A2.  Use portupgrade on each with t=
he options to upgrade ports using=0A     binaries from the internet.=0A=0A3=
.  Maintain one server and use pkg_create to create binary packages of=0A  =
   all installed ports.=0A=0A4.  Take a look at PCBSD, which is FreeBSD pre=
configured as a desktop=0A     and with additional, user-friendly features.=
=0A     http://www.pcbsd.org.=0A=0AGood luck,=0A=0AAndrew=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A