Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:42:33 -0500
From:      Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
To:        Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD partitioning

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD? =C2=A0GParted recognizes FAT16, FA=
T32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the Fr=
eeBSD partition as unknown. =C2=A0Then there are the sub-partitions within =
the main FreeBSD partition.

Check the manual here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-steps.html

I think the first thing you need to understand is, FreeBSD is a UNIX
running on x86, not a UNIX rewrote for x86. So the x86-only concept,
such as the partitions, may not apply to FreeBSD. In FreeBSD, the term
`slice' refers to a record in MBR or GPT table, aka., a partition in
x86 world. In a slice, we can use either bsdlabel to create UFS
partitions, or install a ZFS pool. So, may be some day gparted can
recognize a freebsd slice, it can never labels UFS partitions.

> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linu=
x. =C2=A0However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for sta=
bility and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

Just ask questions in the mailling lists and forums. We answer your
questions for free :)