Date:      Sat, 2 Apr 2011 12:55:15 -0400
From:      David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Constant rebooting after power loss
References:  <87d3l6p5xv.fsf@cosmos.claresco.hr> <AANLkTi=kEyz-mKLzdV8LAf91ZhMTP8gLKs=3Eu5WD8mh@mail.gmail.com> <874o6ip0ak.fsf@cosmos.claresco.hr> <7b15d37d28f8ddac9eb81e4390231c96.HRCIM@webmail.1command.com> <AANLkTi=KEwmm1hM6Z=r_SWUAn9KhUrkTVzfF6VmqQauW@mail.gmail.com> <14c23d4bf5b47a7790cff65e70c66151.HRCIM@webmail.1command.com> <AANLkTi=6pqRwJ96Lg=603cYg_f8QUXkg8aXtbjbYpFrV@mail.gmail.com> <201104020335.p323Zp8Q018666@apollo.backplane.com>

On Apr 1, 2011, at 23:35, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    The solution to this first item is for the OS/filesystem to issue a
>    disk flush command to the drive at appropriate times.  If I recall =
the
>    ZFS implementation in FreeBSD *DOES* do this for transaction =
groups,
>    which guarantees that a prior transaction group is fully synced =
before
>    a new ones starts running (HAMMER in DragonFly also does this).
>    (Just getting an 'ack' from the write transaction over the SATA bus =
only
>    means the data made it to the drive's cache, not that it made it to
>    the platter).

It should also be noted that some drives ignore or lie about these flush =
commands: i.e., they say they flushed the buffers but did not in fact do =
so. This is sometimes done on cheap SATA drives, but also on expensive =
SANS. If the former's case it's often to help with benchmark numbers. In =
the latter's case, it's usually okay because the buffers are actually =
NVRAM, and so are safe across power cycles. There are also some =
USB-to-SATA chipsets that don't handle flush commands and simply ACK =
them without passing them to the drive, so yanking a drive can cause =
problems.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the zfs-discuss list on this =
topic of the years, especially when it comes to (consumer) SSDs.