Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 09:37:26 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Package/port INDEX question

--==_Exmh_-1176548480P

If memory serves me right, "David J. Kanter" wrote:
> Is the package index referred to when using pkg_version an amalgam of
> installed packages, installed ports, and not-installed ports?

Unless you specified otherwise by command-line option, it refers to
/usr/ports/INDEX.

> I ask this because of the "multiple versions" that shows up when I run
> pkg_version after upgrading from 3.4-R to 3.4-S. A bunch now show up, and
> I'm assuming it's because multiple versions of a port exist, rather than my
> installation of multiple versions of a package or port.

The purpose of pkg_version is to compare the version numbers of
installed ports with what's in the INDEX file.  If there are multiple
versions of a port installed *or* if there exist multiple versions in
the INDEX file, pkg_version can't make a meaningful comparison of the
version numbers because it doesn't know which quantities to compare.
The "multiple versions" output is pkg_version's (my) way of saying
there isn't any automated way of figuring out which comparison to make
and that you have to look at the output yourself and see.

> For instance, bash has multiple versions, but I only installed 2.03.
> However, an earlier version shows up in the ports tree, so is this why
> pkg_version shows multiple version existing?

Yep.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1176548480P

--==_Exmh_-1176548480P--