Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:31:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        kwoody@citytel.net (Keith Woodworth)
Cc:        data@dreamhaven.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oops, killed init

Keith Woodworth wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Bryce Newall wrote:
>
> > > a big deal but I wont know what happedned to the machine till I get home
> > > in about 5 hours but want some idea on what state the machine might be in
> >
> > It will be in a state of confusion. :)  Seriously, though, killing init
> > basically brings your machine to a halt, since init is the master process.
> > You'll probably have to hard-reset your machine when you get home, since
> > init itself is what processes ctrl-alt-del, and since init isn't
> > running...
>
> A follow-up here...got home and the console said enter path to sh or hit
> return for sh:
>
> Hit return and I'm at a sh prompt. So I diddle about a bit, everything is
> still mounted and running, init is still going with about 5 other
> process's but thats about it so it dropped to single user I guess. Do a
> quick man init and find that a ^D will start everything up again.
>
> Sure enough it does and I'm right back to where I was. Current up time is
> over 30 days for this machine and really didnt want to reboot.

That's the spirit :)

You meant to do   kill -1 3452
and instead did   kill  1 3452

OK, you sent SIGTERM to init. It dropped to single user. This is
what the man page suggests.  All is well.  That other process went
bye-bye, though :)

Dave
--
http://www.microsoft.com/security: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most
                  secure network operating system available.'