Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 23:07:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de (Stefan Eggers)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

> > > Is it allowed in FreeBSD? Is all FreeBSD C source code portable?
> >
> > Good question; I don't know the answer.
>
> We have at least a little bit of unportable code in swap_pager.c where
> arrays of runtime computed size (array size depends on one of the
> parameters of the function) get used.  Works great with gcc but not
> with an unsuspecting ANSI C compiler.

I thought this was an ANSI-ism (you are talking about the sizing of
the stack allocations based on count in swap_pager_getpages() and
swap_pager_getpages(), right?); my bad.

> What's the official opinion on using gcc extensions?  Should this have
> been avoided or is it OK to use them in the kernel?

I'd like this clarified, as well.  I'm getting very tempted by this
thread to "do what it takes" to make TenDRA work... 8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.