Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 17:22:00 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape question

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > This must be a problem with the Exabyte then.  It works fine for me,
> > with a Tandberg TDC4222, and a QIC-525 cartridge (QIC-150, of course,
> > doesn't work since it's fixed-length blocking).
> >
> > Also, i know that restore(8) basically relies on this feature in order
> > to determine the tape block size.  ISTR that this once was broken, but
> > that's been quite some time ago.
>
> I think it is a driver issue.
>
> I would hesitate to actually call it a problem, however.
>
> Effectively, one driver does a "sync" for you, and the other does
> not:

Terry, Terry.  You ought not to talk about things you neither
understand nor verify before posting.

Both (mine and his) were the same drivers (st(4)), and all this has
nothing to do with dd(1)'s sync option or such.  Raw devices write
just what is being passed down to a write(2) syscall.

Better talk about things you've got some clue about...  The SCSI tape
driver definately doesn't belong to this (and no, you don't need to
change the subject now to match your claims).

--
cheers, J"org