Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:43:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from RAID5 array?

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Jaime Kikpole wrote:

> > It seems to me as though the Adaptec is blocking any handover of the boot
> > process to the DPT
>
> 	Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

Only things you've probably already tried, and haven't helped ... like
checking the machines BIOS boot choice, and whether the DPT's
configuration has any boot options.

It occurs to me that IBM may have wired down the boot sequence in such a
way that an Adaptec would work, but anything else won't be found.

An alternative, though not overly attractive, option is to look at whether
you can concoct a boot floppy with the kernel you want, wired to find
everything on the DPT's volumes.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia