Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:20:29 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Daniel Hilevich" <danhil@cwnt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the ppi interface

 - please only post to one list
 - please do not post HTML messages to public mailing lists

> I'm using the parallel port to control some sort of a hardware (i2c).

You should probably use the i2cbb driver for this, as it can be easily
tweaked to do what you're trying to do here.

> For that I generate pulses using the ppi device (geek port). The problem
> is that in some cases, the pulse isn't generated. What I do is sending
> an ioctl to make the device high (1) and another ioctl to set the device
> low (0). It seems that in some cases, the two commands arrive together
> to the device so the pulse isn't wide enough.

The timing of the output transitions under ppi are very dependant on what
the rest of the system is doing.  It's not really suitable for this
application as-is; you would be better off either using the 'lpbb' driver
or building an external parallel-to-i2c interface adapter.

> Does the ppbus layer stores the ioctl's in some sort of a buffer and
> than flushes its content to the hardware?

No.