Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:22:42 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        Pekka Savola <Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi>
Cc:        Sheepman <sheepman@mindcrash.com>, williamsl@home.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pidentd

Pekka Savola wrote:

> >  When I set up masq'ing awhile back I used a different ident daemon.  I
> >did not use pidentd.  I think maybe it was cidentd, but I am not sure.  It
> >was specifically for ip masqing.  Hope this helps a smidge.  :)
> >
> >>    I am trying to get pidentd (or any other ident daemon) to work for
> >> masqueraded hosts on a private LAN connected to the internet via a
> >> 3.2-RELEASE box. I've managed to successfully compile and install
> >> pidentd which works as a standard ident daemon but I am having
> >> difficulty figuring out how to make it work for masq'd hosts. Any
> >> ideas?
>
> Hi,
>
> I encountered the similar problem myself - and asked around for solutions.
> I have come to the conclusion that there are _no_ identd implementations
> for FreeBSD that would support NAT/Masq'ed connections.  There are plenty
> of them for Linux, but they seem to use proc filesystem and are of no use..

$ grep ident /etc/services
auth            113/tcp    ident tap    #Authentication Service
auth            113/udp    ident tap    #Authentication Service

Why can't you just tell natd to redirect all incoming connections (UDP
and TCP) on port 113 to a machine behind the firewall?

redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.2:113 113
redirect_port udp 192.168.1.2:113 113
                IP address of the machine you want to respond

Alex