Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:34:00 +0100
From:      Gerald Heinig <heinig@hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Graeme Brown <graeme.brown@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Net (FreeBSD.Org) List" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Running superuser scripts remotely

Graeme Brown wrote:

> Hi
>
> What would folks  on this list recommend as a convenient and secure
> way to run a script (which needs to run with root level permissions)  remotely
> on a FreeBSD box controlled from another FreeBSD box without having to go
> through a login/password sequence ?
>
> Should I be looking at ssh and sudo etc form ports collection ?

Graeme,

I used rsh with kerberos authentication on my two machines at home, just
for fun. The transmissions don't get encrypted, which might not be
enough for you, but it would prevent the wrong people doing stuff on
your machine remotely. I'm sure ssh has the same and better
functionality, though.

Gerald

--
"Would you like to buy an encyclopaedia to help your child get to
college?"