Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:45:42 +0200
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /usr/local/ports ?

Terry Lambert wrote on 10.09.1997
  Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /u

>> >	module add <package>
>> >to add it to PATH, and
>> >	module delete <package>
>> >to remove it.
>>
>> We use something like this at PARC.  It's incredibly useful, since
>> it allows you to have multiple versions of software around and turn
>> them on or off individually without having to rename executables, but
>> I'm always running into hard-coded limits.  My $PATH is nearly 1k bytes
>> long, and if it gets any longer random programs start misbehaving in
>> various strange ways.  Same with $MANPATH.
>
>There is adire need for shell expanded path globbing characters (ie: they
>are expanded internally instead of globbed into the variable).  Then, as
>long as you played nice with the module program installing into directories
>that globbing would coelesce modules, you'd be set.

I'm not sure I understood that correctly, but if you mean something like
PATH=/opt/*/bin
then this wouldn't solve some of my problems.
I keep multiple versions of some packages (i.e. perl4,perl5.003,perl5.004)
around, to this would screw up my setup.
That's the main reason why I use modules (plus the fact that you can kill a
package with a few well defined rm's !)

ciao
  lutz

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.