Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:58:56 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com (Cliff Addy), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netstat stalls and errors

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.961009085550.6317A-100000@revelstone.jvm.com>
you wrote:
: netstat often stalls, sometimes partway through the listing.  Sometimes
: it will continue after a few seconds, sometimes not.  And occasionally it
: gives this error

: netstat: kvm_read: Bad address

: and keeps on going.  Is there something wrong here?  We're running 2.1.5R

 Nothing much that you should be worried too much about.

 When you run netstat it trys to do reversed DNS lookups to turn the
 IP numbers that are involved in connections into names.. hence the
 delay.  You can use a "netstat -n" to tell netstat not to do these
 lookups.

 The kvm_read could be related to these delays.  Netstat runs through
 a linked list of all the connections.  One of these connections could
 die, or more could be added, durring one of your DNS lookups, causing
 the next bit of the list to disappear.

 Hence the message.

 Peter

--