Date:      21 Apr 1998 11:38:12 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Window manager problems

Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com> writes:

> I have XFree86 up and running.
>
> I still haven't yet gotten the flicker-free 1024 x 768 display that my
> monitor docs say I can get.

How did you configure XFree86?  Did you enter the correct settings for
your monitor with regard to scanning frequency?

> However I recently tried pkg_add-ing, and then porting the fvwm2 and
> enlightenment window managers.
>
> fvwm2 compiled and installed but would not run because ld.so failed
> because it could not fine the shared library libXpm.so.4.10.
>
> Enlightenment failed to compile because the compiler could not find the
> header file imlib.h in the X11 directory.
>
> In both cases I did the make with the ports cdrom (the 4th one in the
> 2.2.5 set) mounted and a PPP connection open.
>
> Any idea where and how I should look for the missing files?

I'm not sure why ports is not finding the dependencies for you.  It
would be adviseable at some point to update your ports tree using
cvsup--the info is a http://freebsd.org/ports.html

fvwm2 is missing libXpm.  enlightenment is missing imlib.
enlightenment and/or imlib has aobut 2,000 other dependencies, so i'd
only try that one with the benefit of an updated ports tree.

--

Steve Farrell