Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        "Wong Tze Chuan (Central)" <TWONG@DIGI.COM.MY>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file too big!

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Wong Tze Chuan (Central) mumbled:

> Hi,
> When i tried to fdimage the kern.flp to a:, it gives me the error message
> file too big!
> I downloaded al the flp file from
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/floppies/
>
> and how come the boot.flp size is even 2.88K? how to do fdimage of that?
> I am new to FreeBSD, and you documentation is not clear, and not straight to
> point as well.
> I dont have the CD with me, is that mean I gotta download ALL subdirectories
> from
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/ ????
>
> If i wanna do a NFS installation (put the source to a Unix server) since the
> PC to install FreeBSD is not connected to network, I have put all files from
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/ to that unix
> server? and boot from floppy (like linux), is that the way?

The 2.88MB file is used if you have a 2.88MB floppy drive (or a 2.88MB
capable drive) or want to create a bootable CD-ROM with the necessary
files to install or load FreeBSD.

There should be two 1.44MB files called something like mfsboot.flp and
kern.flp (which should be downloaded as binary files) which you can
use dd or rawrite to write them out to two floppy disks.

// Linh Pham
// http://closedsrc.org