Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:00:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Non-PnP cards are probed before the sort because you can't cause them
> to be relocated.  This give you a base set of per device configuration
> attributes for those devices which you recognize.

Unfortuantely, since Non-PnP cards and PnP cards BOTH fall into the
category of ISA Cards, you can't [easily] have the luxury of probing the
ISA Non-PnP cards first.  There just really isn't an easy way to seperate
the non-PnP and PnP Cards.

> Welcome to the wonderful world of ISA and reason #1 why there is no
> such thing as PnP for an ISA machine that doesn't have PnP extensions
> on the motherboard itself.

My motherboard has no support for PnP-  It was manufactured years before
PnP was even dreamed of.  This is kind of the catalyst for writing
support for PnP-devices in FreeBSD.  If your motherboard supports PnP,
then you have a fairly reliable configuration for each PnP card (which is
handled by Bios, before the boot sequence is started).  For poor folks
like Amancio and I, we have to leave it to the operating system to handle
PnP configuration.

Sujal