Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 1998 15:17:43 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does this mean we have another breakin?

We have set up Tripwire, and are getting "Alarums and Excursions" (with
apologies to old Will Shakespeare) from changed "last modification" dates
on executables.

Is this a bug or a break-in? I could not find anything about a bug anywhere
in the GNATS database.

When we encountered the changed files, we were sure we were being hacked by
the same intruder who "owned" us via QPopper not long ago. That intruder
installed several Trojans; perhaps as many as half a dozen.

We dealt with that first break-in by wiping the disk, installing
2.2.7-RELEASE, bringing back all the e-mail and user data, forcing 250
users to change passwords, and having two people audit each one of our
administrative Perl scripts and shell scripts. We also audited every
configuration file that can specify that a program should be run, meaning
everything from our customized sendmail.cf to rc.everything to
/etc/crontab. That process took 4 people a full weekend (not counting the
time it took to notify every single user) and took a mail server that
serves 250 people down for a full day. Not to mention the cost of all of
that pizza. ;-)

We were about to do it AGAIN. Now we're holding out some hope that it's
just a bug -- though perhaps the same one that's crashing us when we try to
back up.

In any event, I just received private e-mail stating that at least one
person has encountered VM problems in -stable under heavy CPU loads when
the swapper kicks in. According to the message, they cause corruption of
file modification dates.

Is this a known bug? If so, could it also be responsible for the
spontaneous crashes we see when we pipe dump | gzip | ftp for backups?

--Brett

roberto@keltia.freenix.fr