Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:28:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Holt Grendal <holtor@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   VIA 686 Chipset

Hi All,

I have been having numerous problems with certain servers
after upgrading to FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE.

The ethernet card timing out. The hated: "fxp0: device timeout"
Crashes... Lockups.. reboots, panics, you name it I've had it.

I've gone threw replacing all the hardware, with no sucess.

After much grief I think i may have stumbled accross the problem.
All the servers have one thing in common, its this VIA 686 chipset
on on the motherboard. All our other servers running motherboards
using other chipsets are FINE!

I have been searching online and notice many people have issues with
this chipset.. and there are software fixes. What has been confused
is why did these servers running flawlessly until FreeBSD 4.5?

So.. does anyone know what has changed since FreeBSD 4.4 to cause
all these problems to re-appear with the VIA 686 chipset?

Thanks!!

Holt