Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:51:28 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two problems still present in RC3

On Friday, December 09, 2011 10:05:49 am Damien Fleuriot wrote:

> On 12/9/11 10:13 AM, Brett Glass wrote:
> > FreeBSD 9.0-RC3 is looking good, but I'm still encountering two problems.
> >
> > Firstly, when I try to configure VLANs in /etc/rc.conf, I'm getting
> > errors. For example, if I use
> >
> > vlans_re0="1 2"
> > ip_addrs_re0_1="192.168.0.1-4/16"
> > ip_addrs_re0_2="10.0.0.0/24"
> >
> > to create two VLANs on the interface re0, I get error messages saying
> > that "create" commands (presumably using ifconfig) have failed. The
> > interfaces SEEM to be configured correctly, but the messages -- which
> > must be coming from scripts called by /etc/netstart -- are troubling.
> >
> > Secondly, there's still some strangeness in the sc terminal emulation.
> > When I run jove, the status line at the bottom of the screen isn't
> > entirely in reverse video as it should be. Only parts of it are, and the
> > highlighting changes -- seemingly at random -- as I work.
> >
> > Neither of these is likely to be a showstopper (so long as the first
> > won't cause me networking problems I haven't observed yet), but both are
> > probably worth looking into.
> >

> I have never seen this way of configuring VLANs.

It's new.  I added it in the last year or so to match the way wlan devices
are created.  It also can do sane things like auto-destroy associated vlans
when a device is stopped, etc.  However, I have not tested them with
/etc/netstart.  They do work fine during a normal startup.  I can't see
obvious reasons as to why they would fail though via /etc/netstart.

The stuff that handles vlans_<if> will auto-load if_vlan.ko if it is needed,
but perhaps that isn't working from single user mode when using /etc/netstart?

Also, do the vlans work fine if you let a box boot normally?

--
John Baldwin