Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:41:47 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is it just me, or...

John Hay wrote:

> > Damn..  rc5des just took a dive on the machine while running on a UP
> > kernel.  Damn! Damn! Damn!  That narrows that part down to either the rest
> > of the system being ELF or a hardware problem...
> >

> Be carefull, at least some versions of rc5des had a bug in their PPro/PII
> core that made them coredump when they switched back from des to rc5. It
> was reported on their mailing list a while back and I then switched back
> to an older rc5 only version. I haven't looked to see if they have a fix
> yet.

Ahhh shit!!  This was it.. If I get it to the stage where it coredumps,
and switch to non-ppro cpu code, it picks up the checkpoint and merrily
submits the completed key.  Damn!!!!!!  I wish the distributed.net folks
would update the freebsd binaries because this has lost them a whole chunk
of keyspace.

(not to mention the 16 byte "current version" of the non-threaded binary
on the server, the .gz compression must be pretty good to get it from
700-odd K down to 16 bytes.)

> John

Cheers,
-Peter