Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:41:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
To:        Pekka Savola <Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selecting which programs to have in the base system

--- Big Brother told Pekka Savola to write, at 20:02 of December 12:
> Hello all,
>
> I posted this to freebsd-newbies (this seems like a newbie/faq question to
> me) a day or two ago but got no answer.  So let's try this list..
>
> How can I manipulate -easily- which base system files (in e.g. /bin,
> /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin) will be installed/compiled when I cvsup the
> sources and make world ?

I don't think that's a really good idea. It's not really 'made' that
way.

> The problem is, according to /var/log/setuid.today, I have ~70 files (some
> of them just symbolic links though) which are setuid root (95% of them from
> base system).  Talk about security! I'd like to remove the ones I don't
> need and never hear of them again (like ppp*, r*, yp*).  Also, having stuff
> like this along just takes some HDD space too.   I couldn't care less of
> having e.g. some games in my system.

Well, I don't think these things take so much space... If you're
talking serious about HDD space, your games will take a much bigger
place than the, say, /usr/bin dir, that you won't even notice... (8622
Kb for my /usr/bin... that's not that big compare to my WarCraft
install (22Mb! :))

> So, are there any utilities to keep track which base programs/sources are
> installed and which are not - and how to keep them that way so that
> upgrading the sources, 'make world', etc. won't mess those up?

None that I know of. Would be nice to do though. Ready to code? :)

> Btw, regarding setuid.today.. are there any good "master" references which
> files in the base system really need to be +s ?  I can't believe all ~70
> of them have to be...

It's not a 'master' ref, but I built up a list of the suid files on
FBSD and their use at:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~beaupran/FreeBSD/setugid.txt

Tell me what you think of it!

The AnarCat

--
Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,

Lofofora