Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:05:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        rknebel@csrlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xinitrc file

On Wed, Oct 22, 1997 at 06:30:56PM -0400, rknebel@csrlink.net wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to fine tune my xinitrc file and am running into an annoying
> problem. The last line in it which was there when I intially installed
> freebsd 2.2.2, brings up an xterm window which is called login. This appears
> whenever I start x and to exit x I have to type exit in this xterm window.
> If I delete this line my X server will not start. Does this line have to be
> there or is there a way to get rid of it. I will attach a copy of my xinitrc
> file.

The problem is more likely that your X server starts and then stops
again.  You should ensure that the last command in your .xinitrc
doesn't complete: when this happens, the server stops.  I'd suggest
starting the window manager last.  I don't see a window manager in
your .xinitrc; how do you start it?

Greg