Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 17:54:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP over IrDA

[ I'm not subscribed to -mobile, please keep me cc'ed ]

Hi -mobile,

I'm trying to setup a PPP connection via the IrDA port of my Thinkpad and
a Nokia 6210. I'm using the birda port for this and I start it like this:

# ircomm -d /dev/cuaa1 -r -y /dev/ptyp7

The Nokia is detected, and then I'm trying to run ppp with a ppp.conf
like this:

----8<----
default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)

 set speed 115200
 set timeout 180=09=09=09# 3 minute idle timer (the default)
 enable dns=09=09=09=09# request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

uniir:

  set device /dev/ttyp7
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
  set phone PHONENUMBER
  set authname USERNAME
  set authkey PASSWORD

  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route
  disable mppe
----8<----

Ok, it works. PPP connects, I get my IP address and a default route and
everything looks fine. But then I can't do anything with this connection,
there are packets going out, but there a only a few packets coming back
in. I discovered the following:

*) DNS works, hostnames are resolved correctly.
*) traceroute works, I can see every hop.
*) ping works only when run with "-s 10" or lower (otherwise the requests
   are going out, but nothing ever comes back in).
*) Every other connection runs into a timeout, and this is probably
   because the packets sent back are too large, as the ping example
   implies.

I've already tried setting the MTU to minimum in ppp.conf, but that didn't
help either. So I'm stuck, and I don't know which knobs to tweak to get
that thing running. Any hints?

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                              eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator                Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)        Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                    http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/