Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:36:10 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Yet another XL driver update

On 1998-08-09 18:05 -0400, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> wrote:
> - I haven't yet been able to fix the problem with one particular
>   3c900 COMBO card. This card appears to initialize correctly
>   but refuses to do DMA. The 3c900 card that I have works properly

This could be due to the MASTER_ENABLE bit not being
set in the PCI configuration space COMMAND register.
The PCI code in 2.2.x used to set that bit whenever
a port or memory map was registered, but the code in
3.0 doesn't, since the bus-master functionality should
be enabled last. The PCI BIOS will often set the master
enable bit, but may leave the board alone, on that
particular system ...

To check out that possibility, have the owner of that
failing card do a "pciconf -r" of the COMMAND register
and check bit 2 (value 4): it should be set to 1 to
have DMA support enabled.

Regards, STefan