Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 96 17:59:07 PST
From:      "Robert Batten" <rbatten@candle.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! My previously docile Freebsd system has gone nuts!

     To whom it may concern;

     I have had to reinstall Freebsd to my system after some files had
     become corrupted. When I first installed the 2.1 release to my PC-DOS
     system I encountered few problems that I could not readily attribute
     to operator error. The system ran fine for a period of 4 months until
     I corrupted some files by shutting down the server via tripping on the
     power cord!

     I accepted my fate and was prepared to reinstall from the CD-ROM just
     like before. I was not pleasantly surprised to discover that the
     install program, the exact same floppy boot disk that I used
     previously, failed to want to create a bootable image on my ide hard
     drive! In fact the exact message is as follows: WARNING! Unable to
     swap to /dev/wd0s1b: Device not configured. This may cause the
     installation to fail at some point if you don't have a lot of memory.

     Well, I have 16MB of RAM. I assume this was not enough because the
     following messages followed: Unable to make new root filesystem on
     /dev/rwd0a. and finally: Couldn't make filesystems properly. Aborting.
     ( As an aside, someone should have added: Have a nice Day!)

     So I am stuck. Where did I go wrong?

     Freebsd or Die...:=(

     R Batten
     S.E. Candle Corporation