Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:59:10 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh <mohsen@pahlevanzadeh.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xenix (sysv) filesystem and FreeBSD

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:48:23 +0430, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:
> Can I put _native_ filesystem into kernel ? If yes, please address me....

I think there is no (and never has been a) native support
for Xenix file systems. Furthermore, file system support
has been moved out of the kernel for many file system
types (except the OS's most common ones), so there's
now FUSE to be used for everything else. If there is a
way, I think that's the one to use.

Check out the FreeBSD kernel sources for a list of the
currently supported file systems. See the FUSE documentation
for what other formats can be dealt with in user space.

As Matthew wrote: If you can access the disk, first make
a full (!) copy of it with dd. In case this causes read
errors, use dd_rescue instead. Then work with the copy
only (mdconfig, vnconfig) - this mechanism can represent
different file systems, in MBR or "dedicated", and you
can mount them (if there is support for that file system,
be it UFS or SysV-native) at least read-only, that should
be sufficient.

As I said, in worst case, there are the forensic tools
that work independently (!) from the file system in use.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany