Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:17:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM Problem!!

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, tjk@tksoft.com wrote:

> Email has certainly become lot less reliable than what it used
> to be. At least if you need to communicate with AOL customers,
> it seems.

Probably its being done somewhere already, if so I would like to see
pointers to it... perhaps its time to start looking at a replacement for
smtp. SMTP-NG or some snazzier acronym for secure messaging.

Something that is designed for the environment that now exists.

What features would we want to see, what features would be reasonable?

- secure transmission
- verifiable transmission path, every system that touches it is
  verifiable and authenticated
- each system encapsulates the entire message, think nested pgp signed
  messages
- make the forging of headers very difficult
- etc etc etc

What would a secure, difficult to forge, auditable messaging system look
like?