Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:40:33 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@link.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        Ralph Strohschein <strohsr@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
Cc:        "Susan R. O'Brien" <srobrien@mss.lucent.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Issuing the Windows NT "net" command from FreeBSD

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Ralph Strohschein wrote:

>If you want to receive a winpopup message from an NT box on your FreeBSD
>box, I can't help you. If you want to send a popup message from your
>FreeBSD box to any NT box, check out smbclient, which is part of the Samba
>package.

Can also be done with Samba. I wrote this privately, but seeing
how many people believe it's not possible to send from a NT/95
PC to a FreeBSD box, here's the extract from smb.conf(5) :

   message command
       This  specifies  what  command  to  run  when  the  server
       receives a WinPopup style message.

       This  would  normally  be a command that would deliver the
       message somehow. How this is to be  done  is  up  to  your
       imagination.

       What I use is:

          message command = csh -c 'xedit %s;rm %s' &

       This  delivers  the  message  using xedit, then removes it
       afterwards. NOTE THAT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THIS  COM-
       MAND  RETURN  IMMEDIATELY.  That's why I have the & on the
       end. If it doesn't return immediately then  your  PCs  may
       freeze  when  sending  messages (they should recover after
       30secs, hopefully).

       All messages are delivered as the global guest  user.  The
       command  takes  the  standard  substitutions,  although %u
       won't work (%U may be better in this case).

       Apart from the  standard  substitutions,  some  additional
       ones apply. In particular:

       %s = the filename containing the message

       %t  = the destination that the message was sent to (proba-
       bly the server name)

       %f = who the message is from

       You could make this command send mail,  or  whatever  else
       takes  your fancy. Please let me know of any really inter-
       esting ideas you have.

       Here's a way of sending the messages as mail to root:

       message command = /bin/mail -s 'message  from  %f  on  %m'
       root < %s; rm %s

       If you don't have a message command then the message won't
       be delivered and Samba will tell the sender there  was  an
       error.  Unfortunately  WfWg totally ignores the error code
       and carries on regardless, saying  that  the  message  was
       delivered.

       If  you  want to silently delete it then try "message com-
       mand = rm %s".

       For the really adventurous, try something like this:

       message   command   =   csh    -c    'csh    <    %s    |&
       /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient \
                         -M %m; rm %s' &

       this  would execute the command as a script on the server,
       then give them the result in a WinPopup message. Note that
       this  could  cause  a  loop if you send a message from the
       server using smbclient! You better wrap  the  above  in  a
       script that checks for this :-)

       Default:      no message command

       Example:
               message command = csh -c 'xedit %s;rm %s' &
---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khetan@iafrica.com ; khetan@os.org.za
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  * Talk/Finger khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
UUNET Internet Africa Support * FreeBSD enthusiast-www2.za.freebsd.org
FreeBSD: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware