Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:27:01 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: How should I partition my disk?

On Tuesday, 9th September 1997, "Marty Leisner" wrote:

>I've seen no guidelines on how big to make partitions...(if I've
>missed it, please point it out to me).

>I have a 6.4 gig IDE quantum bigfoot...I'm willing to give
>about 1.2 gig to freebsd...

>Any reasonable ideas for a basic install (i.e. sizes and mount points)?
>(I hate the fact we insiston swap space).

It's sort of a suck-it-and-see situation.  An ISP is going to have different
ideas about partitioning than a home user.  A power X11 user's machine will
have different requirements to a dedicated name server.  The answer even
changes over time because the underlying reasons change over time.  For
example, a small root partition was once essential for system recovery
purposes.  Now you could dispense with that (merging / and /usr) and rely
on the fixit floppy.

But I can give you some hints. :-)

Make a separate partition for root and usr and one for every system you want
to "box in" (that is, keep from crowding other stuff).  So, if I was making
a news server, I'd make root, swap, usr, newsctl, newspool and possibly
one for news overviews.  If I was hosting user mailboxes, /var/mail would
get its own partition.  On production boxes around here, various database
intensive applications get their own partitions to stop them stomping on
other applications, and to make backup orderly and neat.  It's not a cut
and dried science, and the bigger the box, the more you plan ahead.

"So, what's this got to do with me?" you say.  In your case, you probably
just want to tinker at home.  So, you can get by with just root, swap and
usr.  I'd recommend 30 to 50 Mb for root, 60 or more Mb for swap (I never
use less than 2xRAM), and the rest for usr.  There is a school of thought
that says you should separate system directories from user directories
(because it makes backups neater and system rebuilds simpler).  If you
want to follow this, you could try giving half of your spare space to
/usr and half to /home.  At home, I run with root, swap, usr, home and cvs.
I only split the last bit into home and cvs to make them fit my backup device.
You will be backing your stuff up, right? ;-)

If you accidentally constrict yourself you can work around most problems
using symbolic links, like if /var fills up /, you can move it to /usr/var
and symlink /var to /usr/var.  If you run out of swap, set "swapfile" in
/etc/rc.conf to add some swap using vnconfig.

In time, you will get the hang of it.  Then you can get a Unix sysadm job!

Stephen.