Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:29:50 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64-bit time_t

> >C is not "unsafe", it is "not-safe", meaning that you're responsible for
> >your own security. In this it is no less "safe" than any other
> >language as you are a fool if you take the "safety" of any other
> >language on trust.
>
> Gee, by this reasoning a car without seat belts, a horn, or bumpers is
> is really no less "safe" than any other car. After all, you're a fool if
> you trust your car to be safe.

You are.  I can kill people if I'm not careful driving a car.  The tool
is the not the problem, the person who improperly wields the tool is.

(ie; guns don't kill people, people kill people...)

The reason for most of the safety precautions on tools today is because
of how sue-crazy Americans are.  You have to put disclaimers on things
because people use lawn-mowers to mow their hedges and other such
stupidity, and then when the mower falls and cuts of their fingers they
succuessfully sue the manufacturer for not making it safe.

It's really no more safe than it was, but it prevents the manufacturer
from losing their shorts in a lawsuit.

Nate