Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:37:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        kline@tao.thought.org (kline)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (fquestions)
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount "/" after cvsup to 2.2.6-BETA !

According to Jose M. Alcaide:
> Patrik Åström wrote:
> >
> > This morning I did a CVSUP to recompiled my kernel and after installed
> > it and rebooted I got the error message.
> >
> > /dev/sd0a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device,
> > filesystem mount failed.
> >

> >From Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>:
>
> FreeBSD 2.2.6 introduces a change in the naming of the device from
> which the root filesystem is mounted.  This change affects all systems,
> however user intervention is only required for systems undergoing an
> upgrade installation.
>
> Previously, the root filesystem was always mounted from the
> compatability slice, while other partitions on the same disk were
> mounted from their true slice.  This might, for example, have resulted
> in an /etc/fstab file like:
>
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
> /dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/wd0a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd0s2f             /local0         ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd0s2e             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1
>
> For FreeBSD 2.2.6 and later, this format changes so that the device for
> '/' is consistent with others, ie.
>
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
> /dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/wd0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd0s2f             /local0         ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd0s2e             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1
>
> On a new installation, this change is handled automatically by
> Sysinstall.  For an upgrade where the local configuration information is
> preserved, the user must make this change manually, by editing /etc/fstab.
> THIS CHANGE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

		I've seen discussions on this name-change on the
		-stable list recently.  Your posting clears things
		up somewhat, thanks.

		Two questions here.  Given my current fs table
		entriy on my P90::

pd 12:04 <tao> [230] cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sd0a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s1b                     none            swap    sw 0 0
/dev/sd0s1e                     /usr            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s1f                     /var            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s1g                     /home           ufs     rw 1 1
#
## SCSI drive #2
#
/dev/sd1c                       /usr/local      ufs     rw 1 1
proc                            /proc           procfs  rw 0 0
/dev/cd0a                       /cdrom          cd9660  ro, noauto 0 0

		Would my _only_ fstab change for 2.2.6 involve
		this::

/dev/sd0s1a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1

		?  /* ...If the root-name change is this straightforward,
		a script should be able to do it.  */

		My second question is Why this hack?  If this is for
		greater flexibility of some kind, fine.  But for
		aesthetics? dunno...

		gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix