Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2014 06:55:31 +0200
From:      Martin Braun <yellowgoldmine@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie question on ZFS on FreeBSD

I am currently running a setup using NFS on Linux with 2x4TB, 1x3TB and 1x1TB.

Now I want to buy 2x2TB and install FreeBSD with ZFS on for raidz. In
that setup I want to use the two old 4TB disks so I get a ZFS with
4x4TB.

As I understand in raidz I would then have 12TB of storage and the
last 4TB is for redundancy.

However, is it possible to use ZFS on 2x2TB for installation and then
later add 2x2TB for the raidz, so I end up with a pool of 12TB and 4TB
for redundancy, or do I need 4x4TB clean disks before I begin?

In other words.. I want raidz, but I have a lot of data on the two old
4TB disks, how do I best deal with the situation?

Kind regards.