Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:13:53 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Best" Fast Ethernet Card

>>    The 3Com 3c905 driver in FreeBSD uses the card in compatibility mode (non-
>> DMA programmed I/O) and is thus the slowest/highest overhead board that we
>> support. The Intel PCI Pro/100B and Pro/100+ are the fastest/lowest overhead
>> boards that we support, followed by the DEC boards. I haven't measured the
>> performance of the new SMC cards, but I doubt that it is any lower overhead
>> than the Intel cards.
>
>The SMC cards *ARE* DEC chipsets.

   The key word in the above is "new". The SMC9432TX uses the SMC83c170
chip, NOT the DEC chip. We have preliminary support for it in the 'tx'
device driver.

>Is there  a difference between the PRO/100B and PRO/100+?

   The Pro/100+ uses the 82558 chip, which has an integrated PHY. It is
software compatible and performs identically to the Pro/100B.

-DG

David Greenman