Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:16:13 -0400
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login @ password

Jonathan M. Bresler writes:
> Bob Foster wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >    Last night I installed freebsd via ftp site. I have it booting up ok and
> > all but I have one slight problem. After several hours of scanning doc's
> > and stuff I can't seem to get a new user login or administrator login .
> > After a new install what login name and password do you use . Thanks,
> >                    bfoster@super-highway.net
>
> 	use /usr/sbin/adduser
> jmb
>
> ps	never edit /etc/passsd using /usr/bin/vi (or any other editor)
> 	always use /usr/sbin/vipw

I think the problem is that he hasn't logged in at all.  Use 'root' with
no password initially (then set one immediately with the 'passwd' command).
--
 / Christopher Masto \   /   Superior Net Services  \   / Your vote counts  \
| exidor@superior.net | | $24.95/month unlimited use | | Support free speech |