Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:06:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Ben.Grimm@wirehub.net (Ben C. O. Grimm)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHC0 fireworks ?

Ben C. O. Grimm wrote...
> On 20 Nov 1999 11:20:23 +0200, Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
> wrote:
>
> > But I have now a lot of errors (as you can see in this logs) on my scsi chain.
> > I had never experienced such things in the near past (even if as an old
> > current user sometimes I see also worse things :-)
> >
> > Btw I don't see in the current mailing list threads about iussues on the
> > scsi subsystem recently so it can be a problem related to my hardware (even
> > if I didn't experience it before)...
> > Nov 20 09:17:49 gmarco /kernel: ahc0: <Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI
> > adapter> irq 19 at device 6.0 on pci0
>
> > Nov 20 09:17:49 gmarco /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): parity error during
> > Data-In phase.
>
> Please look up the following discussion in freebsd-questions. I'm reading these
> lists on Usenet, so I'm going to give you Usenet message-Id's:
>
> <19991124135732.E23235@mincom.com.newsgate.clinet.fi>
> <9911240640.AA10118@CS.UH.EDU.newsgate.clinet.fi>
> <19991124182926.K23235@mincom.com.newsgate.clinet.fi>
> <95ln3skv9r10s0f6sp0lhd8nhslh1hgrh7@smtp.wirehub.nl.newsgate.clinet.fi>
>
> The last one is a log extract quite similar to yours ... it's Adaptec that's
> seemingly causing the problems here. I'm running 3.3-RELEASE, and problems
> started on two machines with a lot of disk usage (both news related) when I
> upgraded from 3.1/3.2 -> 3.3. The fact that this hasn't been fixed anywhere in
> the cvsup route makes me rather sad. I'm really waiting for fixes/patches ..

There was a corruption problem caused by a bug in the 7890/1 chips that
Justin worked around in the ahc driver shortly after 3.3 went out the door.
This generally only manifested itself under high load.

Your problem is probably very different than Gianmarco's problem, since he
has the fix.  His problem is most likely cabling or termination.

In any case, you need to upgrade to the latest -stable, or wait until 3.4
comes out to fix your problem.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry