Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:45:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD/Opensource is not free

Since I probably am about to step in a puddle of gasoline with what I am
about to say, I'd just like to preface this with this isn't meant as an
attack on anyone, but instead as some food for thought.  I'm not
particularly good with saying things in a tactful manner, and I'd rather
not muddy what I'm trying to say by "softening" it.

It seems that a growing number of posters to the list seem to not
understand that FreeBSD and other OpenSource projects have a real cost
which every user should help to bear.

Let me explain.  The core FreeBSD team is "responsible for deciding the
project's overall goals and direction as well as managing specific areas
of the FreeBSD project landscape".  These 16 or so people are supplemented
by approximatley 150 additional committers.  In all, around 170 or so
people are responsible for the 6.6 MILLION plus lines in /usr/src are
stable.

Remember these are almost (if not) all volunteers.  Most of them have "day
jobs" and as a result are only able to spend a couple hours a day or so on
the project.   Regardless, each and every one of them has made a
commitment to invest their valuable spare time towards improving FreeBSD.

Now, to try to wander back to the point I was trying to make - Even if
the volunteers above only provide one hour a day average on this project,
that still comes out to be 1 hour x 365 days/year x 150 committers or
57,750 hours a year.  Multiply this by say $50/hr which is cheap for
"contract" programming, then you end up with over 2.7 Million dollars of
labor being spent on FreeBSD each year.  Remember this is DONATED labor.

Now think about this: The "committers" have donated 2.7 million dollars
of labor to FreeBSD, what have you done?

I think there is an unfortunate feeling that you have to write code to
help with FreeBSD.   At this point, I would ALMOST say that if you want to
help with FreeBSD DO ANYTHING BUT WRITE CODE.   For Instance:

* Submit pr's:  Document bugs you find and submit the info.

* Fix lacking/outdated documentation.

* Help newbies on the appropriate list(s).

* Find a developer who hates writing documentation and write documentation
for them.

* Help track down developmental documentation for a piece of hardware
and/or purchase said hardware for development purposes.

etc. etc. etc.

I'm sure if someone dropped Jordan or one of the core committers a note
that said "Hey, I have some spare time and I would like to do x" where x
is about anything not already well (or over) covered, they could FIND
something useful for about anyone to do.

I think that maybe the best summarization of this whole thing is this:

FreeBSD costs both time and money to develop.  Although FreeBSD doesn't
officially "cost" us anything (in the fiscal sense), each of us should
find a way to contribute to the project as much as we can justify and in
whatever way we can.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ