Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2013 09:21:11 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        s m <sam.gh1986@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: define more partitions in freebsd

On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 11:10:32 +0430, s m wrote:
> hello all
>
> i want to install freebsd8.2 on my system. for some reasons, i need
> partitions more than 6. my freebsd just allow me to define partitions
> from a to h, not any more.

That's correct and expected for the MBR partitioning approach
(which is considered "mostly outdated" today).

> i checked FreeBSD handbook, but it doesn't say anything about defining
> more partitions.

Because you _cannot_ define more partitions than up to 'h'.
This is a hard-defined limit of MBR-style partitions (as
they are initialized with bsdlabel).

> my question is: how can i define more partitions on my freebsd? (for
> example, ad3s1a, ..., ad3s1h, ad3s1i, ad3s1j, ...).

You cannot. You need to use the GPT partitioning approach
and repartition your disk. With gpart, you can create more
than 'h' partitions, but the partitions will have different
names, such as ad3s1p1, ad3s1p2, ..., ad3s1p10, ad3s1p11, ...
and so on.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany