Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2014 21:24:40 -0500
From:      Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
To:        "Alexander Shendi (Web.de)" <Alexander.Shendi@web.de>
Cc:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/amd64 on ASUS Transformer T100 kconvertible tablet?

> On Apr 26, 2014, at 8:08 AM, "Alexander Shendi (Web.de)" <Alexander.Shendi=
@web.de> wrote:
>=20
> I have downloaded FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-VT-20140423-r264794-memstick.=
img
> from ftp.freebsd.org and copied it to an USB memory stick with dd(1).
> As expected the machine did not boot.
>=20
> So I have two more questions:
> * I know (by googleing) that a project to support UEFI Firmware boot FreeB=
SD exists.
> Can anyone point me to a ftp site or other resources.

Hey Alex,

That may not actually be necessary. To my understanding, UEFI supports handl=
ing BIOS systems with a mode called the Compatability Support Module. In mos=
t PCs, this can be forced on for all attempted boots in the EFI startup opti=
ons. Moreover, even if this laptop you're working with does not have a setti=
ng for this in its options, I know that the process of enabling this mode ca=
n be handled by a UEFI boot loader; rEFInd on my Mac handles CSM-mode OSes j=
ust fine, even though the Mac itself doesn't have a setting the directly ena=
ble it. I've never tried any of this before, but it may be possible to insta=
ll rEFInd on your EFI part on your laptop first, and install FreeBSD plus it=
s bootloader on it's own partition, at which point rEFInd ought to pick it u=
p. I've never tried this, but it seems that would work fine.

> * Can anyone enlighten me how to mount the memory stick, so I can extract
>  the FreeBSD kernel (under Linux)?

I think 'sudo modprobe ufs' / 'sudo mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=3Dufs2' will w=
ork. If not, there's always a FUSE module!
--Matt=