Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:37:25 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernelbuild "the new way" (Was: APM not even a sign)

On 23 Jun 2002, at 16:01, questions-digest boldly uttered:

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:07:03 -0500
> From: David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
>
> On Sunday 23 June 2002 01:17 am, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 June 2002 23:20, David Syphers wrote:
> > >
> > > I belive the "new way" is _only_ for when you're upgrading the entire
> > > system - it's for use between buildworld and installworld.  The "old way"
> > > is still the way for when you're just building your kernel.
> >
> > Well, I think Handbook is a bit vague on this. It does say that "the old
> way"
> > should be used when the source haven't been updated. But since I alway cvsup
> > my sourcetree prior to a kernelbuild (and subsequent make world) this really
> > doesn't apply. "The new way" should be fine for me, but alas, isn't.
>
> It's not clear what order you're doing things in.  If you cvsup, then follow
> the buildworld - buildkernel - installkernel - installworld route, that
> should work fine, and there's something wrong if it doesn't.  But you can't
> build a new kernel and install that, and _then_ buildworld.  All sorts of
> nasty problems can arise from kernel and world being out of sync.  This route
> of doing things has never been supported.
>
> The "old way" is now only for situations like where you want to add a device
> or a kernel option to a system, but don't want to upgrade the system to a
> later version.

So what's the downside of using the "new way" to rebuild a kernel on
an existing system who hasn't had its source upgraded since the last
build?

That's been what I've always done - relatively new FreeBSD user that
I am (since 4.1).  Any reason not to do it that way?

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium