Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 21:29:59 +0200
From:      Marek Holly <marko@exitcode.org>
To:        Alexey Privalov <lubeg@rootshell.be>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg 7.2 +gtk/xfce +alt key problem

 > Hi all,
 >
 > have fBSD 6.2-Stable, after upgrading Xorg from 6.9 to 7.2 have a
 > little bit strange problem: alt key doesn't work in X...
 > so, as the result don't work any combinations with it: alt-tab,
 > alt-shift, alt-Fx, ctrl-alt-Fx and so on...
 >
 > it seems that it's problem with Gtk applications only (or smth like
 > that) because Alt-F4 in 'opera' browser (close the program) works
 > perfectly. Opera uses qt.
 >

 > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6144
 > there is said that problem with xkeyboard-config and offered a patch
 > to fix it. after the patch Alt key works perfectly... but it breaks any
 > language switching...
 >
 > has anyone the same problem or it's just me who is lucky one? )
 > and how did you fix it?
 >
 > thanks in advance.

Hi Alexey,

I noticed the same behaviour on 7.2/Xfce. In my case, I downgraded
xkeyboard-config to 0.6 and everything is fine again. But I found out one
particularity, that might be useful for you. When I set xkblayout something
like this:

Option "XkbLayout"   "us,sk"

Alt doesn't work. But when I set slovak keyboard first:

Option "XkbLayout"   "sk,us"

it works! Language switching as well. I didn't try replace sk keyboard with
others, so it may be specific bug.

Marek