Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 15:21:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems creating new users

Hmm. This problem should probably be posted to -questions.
I'll see if I can help though.

> I've tried creating new users with the adduser program.
> At first I had created a directory called /usr/home and
> then made a symlink /home in the root dir.  I then created
> new users pointing to /home as the home dir.  All dirs were
> created and files were placed in.  I had also created a new
> group in /etc/group called home.

"adduser" should have made all the necessary groups when you
added the users.

> When I tried loging in
> as any of the users, I got a message saying that the user
> didn't have a home dir and was defaulting to the root dir.

Is there a home directory listed for the users in /etc/passwd?

> It also gave me this error message (I had afterwards removed
> the symlink and pointed everyone's home dir to /usr/home):
>
> login: _secure_path: cannot stat /usr/home/<user>/.login.conf:
> permission denied.

Sounds like a permissions problem. Check the offending file and make
sure it is owned by <user>. (Also check the home directory and the /usr/home
directory).

> Anyone know what this error means?  I changed all the perms
> all the way to the user's home dirs to belong to group home,

The directory /usr/home should belong to root:wheel, and the user's home
directories should belong to <user>:<users group>

> and gave rwx privs to the group for the dirs.  I thougt this would
> give them permission to their home dir but the error message
> remained.  This caught me completely off guard...  I really don't
> understand what the problem is.

I am myself a newbie, so my suggestions may not help.
If this doesn't work you should go to -questions.